- Adding ClearCorrect as a Lab
- Pairing your ClearCorrect Doctor Portal Account with 3Shape Communicate
- Submitting a Case with the 3Shape TRIOS Scanner
- How to Scan for Clear Aligners with TRIOS
- Creating an Order in the Doctor Portal
- TRIOS Treatment Simulator Workflow
- Using Ortho Analyzer
Adding ClearCorrect as a Lab
Only necessary for first time users
1. Go to https://portal.3shapecommunicate.com and login
2. From the top menu select “Integrations”
3. Find the “ClearCorrect” entry and click “Enable Integration”
4. Click Proceed. Enabling the integration will establish a connection between your account and your ClearCorrect account.
5. Refresh the browser page until the status of the integration changes to "Enabled". There is no waiting time for approval from ClearCorrect, you are good to get started immediately.
6. After completing to integration step on the Communicate portal, shut down the TRIOS application and restart it. You're now ready to create a new case and will see ClearCorrect as an available option.
Pairing your ClearCorrect Doctor Portal Account with 3Shape Communicate
Only needs to be done once
The next step is to pair your ClearCorrect Doctor Portal account with 3Shape Communicate. There are two options for pairing your 3Shape TRIOS scanner and your ClearCorrect Doctor Portal account.
- From your 3Shape TRIOS Scanner
- From your ClearCorrect Doctor Portal account
You’ll only need to pair once. Let’s look at how to pair with each option.
Pairing your Doctor Portal Account from Dental Desktop
Here are the steps:
1. In Dental Desktop on your 3Shape TRIOS scanner, click on “New Patient”
2. Add patient information, click "Save Patient" and then click "New Case".
3. Select "ClearCorrect" for connection.
4. Click "Connect" and you'll be prompted to:
- Sign into your ClearCorrect Doctor Portal account
- Sign into your 3Shape account
Note: You'll only have to do this step once
5. Accept the connection with ClearCorrect by clicking on the checkbox (required)
6. Then click "Connect" and your account will be paired with your ClearCorrect Doctor Portal account
Pairing your Doctor Portal Account from the Doctor Portal
Here are the steps:
1. Sign in to the Doctor Portal at dr.clearcorrect.com.
2. Go to My Account and click on it.
3. Under the Pairing feature on the menu in the sidebar, click on here.
4. The link will open up the 3Shape page to enter your 3Shape Communicate username and password. When the pairing is complete a message saying that the scanner has been successfully paired will appear.
Now your TRIOS scanner is connected to your ClearCorrect Doctor Portal account.
Submitting a Case with the 3Shape TRIOS Scanner
1. Create a new case.
2. Select ClearCorrect as your lab. (Will be available provided you followed the earlier steps in this article).
3. Click on the patient avatar icon on the right side of the screen.
4. Add the patient's data:
- Add the patient ID or name (as desired)
- Add the patients first name
- Add the patient's last name
- Set the patient's date of birth
5. Set the delivery date:
- Click on the calendar icon on the right side of the screen below the patient information
- Select a delivery date (Note: This is not the delivery date of your aligners, this is a date required by the 3Shape software)
- Confirm with "Set" to proceed
6. Choose "Scan only" on the left side of the screen, then click on "Next".
7. Follow the scan steps (upper arch, lower arch, occlusion). Be sure to scan 3-4 mm of gingiva if possible (try to capture a minimum of 2mm). Close all holes in the scan and trim the scan to remove any unnecessary data.
8. Once the scan is finished and trimmed, choose "Post process".
9. Submit the scans to ClearCorrect:
- Click "Next" after post processing
- Click "Send" to submit the scan to ClearCorrect
- Wait until the case is uploaded
- The scan will appear within 5 minutes on 3Shape Communicate
You can start the process of adding the order on the Doctor Portal immediately after scanning
You can also send the scan to your patient via My 3Shape App.
How to Scan for Clear Aligners with TRIOS
In order to ensure that your scans will be optimal for designing Clear Aligners, you need to follow some specific rules during the scanning.
To learn what those rules are, go through the steps that follow.
1. When scanning for Clear Aligners, always scan both jaws, even if the treatment is planned for one jaw only. Always follow the official 3Shape Scanning Strategy.
For lower jaw the recommended scanning path consists of three swipes:
Make sure to collect all the teeth and the spaces between the teeth and at least 2-4 millimetres of gingiva. When finished, click Next to move on to the upper jaw.
2. For the upper jaw the recommended path is as follows:
When scanning the upper jaw make sure to include the palatal surface in the scan. Click Next to move on to scanning the occlusion.
3. While scanning the occlusion always start at the buccal surface of the molars and make sure to capture both upper and lower teeth. Keep scanning until the scans snap into position, however, scan no less than 4 teeth for perfect alignment.
4. While scanning pay special attention to:
- Interproximal areas – make sure not to leave them open. If, after inspecting the scans you notice any holes, re-scan those areas.
- Incisal edges – make sure to capture all of them, while avoiding stitching issues. To ensure a good data coverage, wiggle the scanner while scanning the anterior teeth.
- Gingiva – capture a minimum of 2-4 millimeters of gingiva from the margin to ensure a better fit of the aligner.
- Molars – always capture all the back teeth even if the treatment does not involve them as the aligner will cover parts of the back molars.
Create an Order in the Doctor's Portal
1. Create the order:
- Login to the ClearCorrect Doctors portal on clearcorrect.com
- Add (create) an Order
- Choose the treating practice
- Enter the patient information
- Select the treatment information
- Proceed with ‘NEXT’
2. Upload images:
- Upload the patients image sets
- Under Scans, please select Directly uploaded scans, and select the TRIOS scanner
- Click on the box with Drop Trios Files Here under upper arch and a list with 10 most recently scanned patients will appear. You can select the correct patient name and then click select and this is automatically upload the STL files from Trios.
- A dropdown list with 10 most recently scanned patients will appear.
- A STL file icon will appear once the file is successfully uploaded.
- Then repeat the same process for the lower arch.
- Note: If more than 10 patients have been sent to communicate, proceed without uploading the scans after selecting Trios in the Directly Uploaded Scans section. The technician at ClearCorrect will manually perform this for you.
3. Go through the rest of the process for creating the order in the Doctor's Portal. Your case will be submitted together with the scans and will be processed immediately after the case is accepted, usually within 24 hrs.
Trios Treatment Simulator Workflow
Treatment Simulator helps the dentist to communicate with patients about the potential outcome of an orthodontic treatment.
Lets take a look at the workflow for the TRIOS Treatment Simulator in the 3Shape Dental Desktop.
1. Click the New Patient icon.
2. Fill in:
- Patient ID
- First name
- Last name (which is mandatory)
- Date of birth
- Any necessary notes
Note: Leaving out details may save you time in the short run, however, more details make it easier to search for the patient and cases later on.
3. Click New Case when you are finished.
4. On the Send to step, select the lab you wish to send the case to.
5. The order form will now appear. On the order form page, select Treatment Simulation and click Next to move on to scanning stage.
6. Proceed with the TRIOS scan according to the recommended scan strategy:
- Scan lower arch
- Scan upper arch
- Scan occlusion
7. While the Treatment Simulator is segmenting the teeth, it is possible to interact with the scan, so that you can engage the patient in conversation. For example; discuss treatment options while waiting for the simulation to be generated.
8. Once processing is complete after 1 or 2 minutes, the simulation is shown side by side with the original position of the patient’s teeth. Here, the differences between pre- and post- treatment can be clearly shown and communicated to the patient.
Note: You can select different views:
- View of the scans pre-treatment
- View of the post-treatment simulation
- View of both the pre-treatment scans and the post-treatment simulator
- You can manipulate the view by selecting one of the three icons on the right side of the screen. That enables you to switch between upper arch, lower arch and occlusion
- Quickly show the patient the differences using the pre-set views
- Treatment Simulator enables dialogue with the patient about what can be accomplished with their treatment, helping and getting them more excited about the treatment
9. If needed, under the Adjustment option, you have access to tools that allow movement and rotation of the teeth.
- Select one of the tools on the left side of the screen for which kind of movement you want to perform, click on a tooth and use the controls to adjust its position.
- The green vectors show the direction in which you can adjust the tooth. Move the teeth by clicking or dragging the arrows and sphere, in the desired direction.
10. Using the color sliders it is possible to change the color of the teeth, which can initiate discussion about bleaching treatment possibilities.
Note: In countries where IvoSmile Orthodontics is available, there's an option to show the simulation on a photo or live video of the patient.
IvoSmile Orthodontics is available for purchase only for iPad on the App store.
Contact Ivoclar Vivadent regarding product availability in your region.
Using Ortho Analyzer
Another way you can submit your case to us using the 3Shape scanner is to use the Ortho Analyzer software. Not all doctors use this software, but if you happen to have it, here's what you do:
- Scan the upper arch, the lower arch, and the bite as you normally would.
- View the scans in the Ortho Analyzer software. If you're satisfied with them, save them as .STL files.
- In the Doctor's Portal, choose "other scans" during the "Impressions/Scan" step.
- Upload the scans you took of the upper arch and the lower arch. You do not need to upload the bite scan because it's automatically saved in both of the arch scan files. We only require the upper and lower arch scans because the positional data from the occlusal scan is embedded in the upper and lower files themselves. We know that some scanners generate three files, but since all the pertinent positional data is included in just the two, we don't need the third.