Disclaimer: Not all features are available in all markets. Contact your local Straumann or ClearCorrect representative to find out what is available in your area.
- ClearPilot™ Description
- The Treatment Setup
- Accessing the ClearPilot™ Platform
- Sharing the Treatment Setup
- ClearPilot™ - Header
- ClearPilot™ - Footer
- ClearPilot™ - Main Display Window
- ClearPilot™ - Mobile View
- ClearPilot™ - Patient Link in Mobile View
- View Tools
- Tooth Movement Chart
- Tx Overview Panel
- Multiview Tool
- Measure Tools
- Superimposition Tool
- Occlusal Heat Map
ClearPilot™ is ClearCorrect's tool for accurately designing your patient's plan for treatment with clear aligners. Using your treatment simulation (the 3D sequential animation of the movement of teeth through aligner treatment) provided by ClearCorrect's experienced technicians, the patient records (clinical photos, impressions/scans, and x-rays) and the tools in ClearPilot™, you can create the treatment goals you and your patients desire.
You can access ClearPilot™ online via the Doctor Portal. Following case submission, you'll receive a notification when the treatment setup is ready for review in ClearPilot™. Within the ClearPilot™ platform you'll find a number of intuitive graphic combinations of action icons, a main display window with the treatment simulation, a tooth movement chart, dropdown menus and panels, and other tools and information all arranged to enhance your experience.
Let's take a look at the different components, features and tools that are part of the ClearPilot™ platform.
The Treatment Setup
Every ClearCorrect case includes a Treatment Setup, a 3D representation of the patient’s teeth before, during, and after treatment. It includes every step, movement and recommended procedure over the course of the case. Once you approve the setup, we will use the corresponding data to manufacture the aligners.
Reviewing and approving the treatment setup for your patient is one of the key aspects of planning treatment. This is where you get to map out the treatment goals you and your patient are aiming for.
ClearCorrect's role is to help you create the treatment plan you want for your patient. We can offer recommendations for the course of treatment, but those recommendations are not absolute. It's up to you to make any necessary changes to customize an ideal course of treatment for each individual patient.
After you add an order (submit a case) in the Doctor's Portal and submit the required patient records, we will send you a notification once your treatment setup is ready for review in ClearPilot™. There's no cost associated with submitting your order and records, no cancellation fee, and you don't pay for anything unless and until you approve the setup..
Once we receive your records, it usually takes a few days to create the setup. When it's ready, we'll send you an email to let you know, and you'll be able to view, modify or approve it in ClearPilot™.
Some of the most common uses for the treatment setup are:
- To plan treatment for your patient using ClearPilot™
- To show the patient (using the patient link) the treatment goals and what treatment outcomes are possible (at the beginning or during treatment, when non-compliance is suspected)
- To monitor treatment progress
- To verify locations for:
- Placing engagers
- Performing IPR
- Compliance checkpoints
- At the end of treatment, compared with clinical photos, to determine if treatment is finished to your satisfaction, and to your patient's satisfaction
After treatment is completed and the case is closed, we will archive the treatment setup and keep it for a period of up to two years.
Reviewing, adjusting and approving or disapproving the treatment setup is done in ClearCorrect’s treatment design tool, ClearPilot™. This article provides an overview of this useful platform.
Accessing the ClearPilot™ Platform
The system and user requirements for the ClearPilot™ platform are pretty straightforward.
Access ClearPilot™ through the ClearCorrect Doctor Portal located at: dr.clearcorrect.com
When your treatment setup is ready for review, follow these simple steps to access ClearPilot™.
Under the "Action Needed" tab you'll also see any notes from the technician and a link to share the setup with your patient.
Sharing the Treatment Setup
A link to a shareable version of the setup, which hides the patient's name and other treatment information is available. Simply paste the provided URL and Password into a browser window to show the patient in front of you or you can paste it in an email or text message to share with patients or colleagues.
Here's how it works:
1. On the case page under the "ACTION NEEDED" tab, click on "Show patient link."
2. Copy and paste the URL and Password into a browser window or email/text.
3. The patient friendly version of the setup will open once the correct password has been entered. In patient view, the setup will be not include the following features usually available in the doctor's version of ClearPilot™:
- Patient name
- Case number
- Treatment option
- Other actions, Approve and Back Buttons
- Tooth Movement Chart
- Measure tools
- Side Menu; Comments Panel & Case Submission Records
4. In patient view, the setup will include the following features:
- Quick link to Support site
- View shortcuts
- Model sizing tool
- Play, Forward & Back buttons
- Treatment Timeline
- Treatment Overview Illustration
- View Tools; IPR, Engagers, Pontics
- Treatment Overview
NOTE: The treatment setup password expires 1 year from the date that the treatment setup is created. After the password has expired, if you still need access to the patient link, you will need to contact a provider services representative to request a new password.
ClearPilot™ - Header
In the header you will find the following functions and/or features:
- Your patient’s name
- Case ID
- The treatment option you selected
- To easily identify which treatment setup version (if case has been previously approved), you are actively viewing (i.e. original, subsequent declined, or revision iterations of the same case), it will be noted in the header
- Click the Color Settings icon to change the color settings of the:
- Edited teeth
- Click the Help icon to access the online Help Center
- Click the Other Actions icon to:
- Submit new impressions or scans for the case to start over with a new prescription
- Close Case to cancel everything and close the case
- Click the Approve icon to:
- Initiate the approval process for the setup version you're currently viewing (make sure you're approving the correct setup version)
- Rate the quality of the setup and provide written feedback about the setup quality rating. Written feedback should focus on:
- the quality of the setup
- the communication of the technician
- the effort of the technician
- Click the Back icon to return to the Doctor Portal
ClearPilot™ - Footer
The features in the footer are mostly the timeline controls for the treatment simulation found in the main display window of the ClearPilot™ platform. Here's what you can find in the footer:
- Expandable Treatment Illustration; a graphic representation of the step you have selected. It shows:
- which teeth are moving
- where IPR is to be performed
- where engagers (attachments) are to be placed
- if there are any Compliance Checkpoints
- The Treatment Timeline provides a number of options for navigating between the steps of the Treatment Setup. You can:
- Drag the slider
- Click the Previous and Next arrows
- Click the Play button to animate the treatment from beginning to end
- Click Previous at the beginning or Next at the "Start" or "Retainer" position to quickly toggle between views for before and after treatment
- If there are many steps in the treatment simulation, an additional slider tool is available to quickly move through and view the later steps in treatment
- You can use the hot key son your keyboard to move through the treatment setup timeline to evaluate tooth movements at each step:
- ArrowLeft - Previous step
- ArrowUp - First step
- ArrowRight - Next step
- Arrowdown - Last step
- Space - Play/Pause timeline
ClearPilot™ - Main Display Window
The Main Display Window is where the 3D treatment simulation is located in ClearPilot™. In this section of ClearPilot™ you can:
- Use the Magnification Slider to change, increase, decrease or re-set to original position the magnification of the models in the Main Display Window. (You can also use your mouse to zoom out or in by holding down the "Shift" key and using the scroll wheel.)
- Manipulate the location of the models within the Main Display Window by "right clicking" on the model and dragging to the desired location
- Manipulate the model itself by clicking on the model and moving it into the desired view/angle
- Use the View Short-Cuts to:
- View only the upper or lower arches
- View the occluded front and center of the model
- View the occluded right or left buccal model views
ClearPilot™ - Mobile View
The Mobile version of ClearPilot™ is convenient and easy to use. If you're away from your office and need to approve a case on the go, it's no problem. The ClearPilot™ Mobile View enables you to review and approve cases any time, anywhere. And, because ClearPilot™ is 100% web-based, you'll always have our most recent updates, without the need to download or upgrade anything on your end.
- View the patient's name, case number and treatment option
- Use your finger to move the model into the desired position
- Use the View Shortcuts to quickly change the view of the model
- Treatment Overview Illustration will show which teeth are moving, where IPR is being performed & where engagers are being placed
- Use the treatment timeline to easily navigate to the desired step of treatment
- Or, use the Play, Next & Back buttons
- A "Full View" button is available if you choose to switch to the full ClearPilot™ desktop view (Note: On a mobile phone, the "Full View" button will only be visible while in landscape mode.)
- Click the view icon to see where engagers, IPR and pontics are in the setup
- Click the Tx Overview icon to see what is to occur during any step that requires action
- Click the Superimpose icon to activate the superimposition feature
- Click on the Approve icon to approve and submit the case
ClearPilot™ - Patient link in Mobile View
The patient view can also be used on a mobile device. Follow the same procedure for accessing the patient view when on desktop (copy provided URL and Password into a browser window) while on your mobile device.
The patient link in Mobile View will not show the patient's name, case number or treatment setup and the approve icon will not be available.
The patient link in Mobile View will have these features/tools available:
- The Treatment Overview Illustration
- The Treatment Timeline
- The View Shortcuts
- The Play, Next & Back buttons for navigating through the setup
- The "Full View" button to switch to the full ClearPilot™ desktop view
- The view icon to see where engagers, IPR and pontics are in the setup
- The Tx Overview icon to see what is to occur during any step that requires action
- The Superimpose icon to activate the superimposition feature
ClearPilot™ - Main Menu
The main menu is a horizontal row of icons that lies just below the Header. The icons are grey when inactive and display in color when made active after clicking on the icon. If you no longer want to view an option, click on the icon again to turn it off.
Let's take a look at the available options in the main menu
The View button opens a menu of icons representing what you can make visible or invisible when reviewing the treatment simulation in the main display window. Let's take a closer look at each of these options.
|Click the Gums icon to remove gums from the model view.|
|Click the IPR icon to view where IPR is recommended for the case.|
|Click the Engagers icon to view where engagers (attachments) are recommended for the case|
|Click the Pontics icon to view where pontics are recommended for the case.|
|Click the Mov Chart icon to view a tooth movement chart for the case. The tooth movement chart will show where and what movements are planned to occur for that step. If you're viewing the retainer step, you'll see the total movement of all the teeth for the entire case.|
|Click the Tx Overview icon to view a high level overview of the treatment for the case. The Tx Overview will show all recommended actions, treatment duration, and wear schedule.|
|Click the Multiview icon to view the upper and lower occlusal view in addition to the selected view in the main window.|
Tooth Movement Chart
The Tooth Movement Chart shows detailed tooth movement information for the step of treatment that is selected in the timeline. The tooth movement chart will show the following details:
- If you are viewing the Upper or Lower Click on the one that you want to view.
- The tooth movements that are occurring with each tooth, i.e. torque, rotation, intrusion/extrusion, translation, etc.
- The direction of tooth movement, i.e., lingual, buccal, mesial or distal, indicated by an abbreviation:
- Extrusion - E
- Intrusion - I
- Crown Torque, Translation, Rotation: Mesial - M or Distal - D
- Crown Torque, Translation: Buccal - B or Lingual - L
- The amount of movement occurring in mm or degrees
- The retainer step and the start step, when clicked on shows the total cumulative movement for each tooth throughout the whole treatment
TX Overview Panel
The Treatment Overview Panel provides a look of the case at a glance. This tool provides an overall idea of the treatment plan for the patient. A great tool for planning and scheduling IPR, engager bonding and space check (Compliance Checkpoints).
In this section of the system, you will see:
- Total number of steps
- Total treatment duration
- Wear schedule
- Indications for what needs to occur at each step of treatment when applicable, including:
- when to verify closed contact
- when to perform IPR
- when and where to place engagers (attachments)
The Multiview button opens two additional windows for viewing the model on the left side of the screen. This is a great tool for being able to view multiple planes of space and tooth movement simultaneously while reviewing the treatment setup. Let's see what features are available with the Multiview function:
- One window with the maxillary view
- One window with the mandibular view
- + and - buttons to zoom in and out on each of the available views
- Left click on the model in the window to move it to your desired viewing position
- Expand or reduce the size of the viewing window with the resizing toggle
The Measure button opens a menu of measuring tools for the Treatment Setup. Let's look at each of the available tools:
|Click the Grid icon to enable a 1 mm grid over the treatment simulation. Great to see just how much overjet you are leaving, or how much space needs to be closed.|
|Click the Grid Back icon to move the Millimeter Grid behind the treatment simulation.|
|Click the Superimpose icon to activate the feature used to compare any step to the starting position of treatment.|
|Click the Occlusal icon to activate the Occlusal Heat Map feature. This will indicate areas of occlusal intersection/occlusion in different colors based on 3 different contact ranges.|
- The Grid icon when enabled, will display a 1-millimeter grid over the treatment simulation
- The Grid Back checkbox, when enabled, will make the grid appear behind the treatment simulation
The Superimpose icon activates the superimposition tool. This tool superimposes the dentition as it was at the start of treatment, over any step that you select. You'll be able to see the difference in the position of each tooth as it is moved according to the designed staging in the Treatment Setup. This feature can be used by you to evaluate whether the designed movements are acceptable according to your treatment goals for the patient.
- You can turn the Superimposition feature on and off by clicking on the Superimpose icon
- The Superimpose tool when enabled, will display a light teal colored visual of the dentition at the beginning of treatment, over the step you have selected, which will be displayed in white
- When you move the timeline from one step to another, it will display the difference between the teal and white teeth, which represents the expected amount and direction of movement accomplished between the start of treatment and the selected step
- You can also play through the entire treatment with the play button while the Superimpose tool is enabled
- The expected amount of movement can be seen visibly on the displayed models or numerically in the Tooth Movement Chart, if it has been activated
- If you have positioned the timeline at the "R" (Retainer) step, the difference between the teal and white teeth will represent the expected amount and direction of movement accomplished during the whole treatment
- If you use the Superimpose tool on a Revision case, the teeth will be superimposed from the beginning of the Revision (not the beginning of treatment)
- Use the View Short-Cuts to change the position or view of the model while the Superimpose tool is enabled
|Occluded buccal view anterior|
|Occluded buccal view of left lateral|
|Occluded buccal view of right lateral|
|Occlusal view of upper|
|Occlusal view of lower|
Occlusal Heat Map
The Occlusal icon will activate the Occlusal Heat Map feature. A useful tool to check on any heavy occlusal contacts that could occur during treatment. You will be able to see which area is in contact and by how much based on a color-coding system. This is a helpful tool for clinicians to identify areas of occlusal interference that may cause patient discomfort during the transitional phases of treatment. It is also great to check for any occlusal interference at the end of treatment, or to help identify if there is a posterior open bite to address.
- Indication of areas of occlusal interference in different colors based on 3 different contact ranges (in mm)
Green = -0.1 - 0.1
Yellow = 0.1 - 0.2
Red = >0.2
- The Arch Transparency feature allows users to adjust the opacity of the model to better observe occlusal contacts. The transparency feature has a range of 20 to 100, with 20 as the maximum amount of transparency and 100 as the maximum amount of opacity.
|Default transparency (60)|
|Maximum transparency (20)|
|Maximum opacity (100)|
- The Occlusal Heat Map feature is also visible when Multiview is activated
The Side Menu has two options to choose from; Modify and Review. Within each of these options there are a number of functions and features available.
The Modify option presents two available tools for modifying the Treatment Setup.
- Dr Edits
- Click on the Dr Edits button to access the 3D Controls: Individual Tooth Movement
- You will be prompted to select a tooth to edit, double click the tooth you want to move.
- The selected tooth will appear in a strong teal color and the 3D Controls: Individual Tooth Movement bar will appear. The types of movements you can perform are:
- Translation buccally or lingually
- Translation mesially or distally
- Click on Comments to open the Comment panel to view all comments for all versions of Setups related to the case, listed chronologically with the latest comments at the top
- To add a new comment to the technician to request modifications to the setup, start typing in the provided blank space. When you type in the blank space, the "Approve" button in the Header changes to Submit Change. This is where you'll click when you're ready to submit your comment. Be sure to rate the quality of your setup and provide written feedback before clicking "Submit."
- Learn more about 3D Controls Individual Tooth Movement by reading this article.
- If you requested overcorrection in your setup, when you edit a tooth's position using 3D Controls Individual Tooth Movement the overcorrection steps on the treatment timeline will be removed. If the changes to the tooth's position are removed, the requested overcorrection will appear again.
When you click on Review, you have the option to review the documents and records related to the case, including:
- The clinical photographs submitted for the case
- The original treatment prescription and treatment plan paperwork
- X-rays (if any were submitted with the case)
- The clinical photographs and X-rays have the same viewing menu, lets review the navigation bar icons.
|Click the zoom in icon to see a larger view of the image|
|Click the zoom out icon to a smaller view of the image|
|Click the right arrow icon to rotate the image 90 degrees to the right|
|Click the left arrow icon to rotate the image 90 degrees to the left|
|Click the reset icon to return the image back to its default size|
Click the pop-out icon to see an enlarged version of the image in a separate window
- Both clinical photographs and x-rays can be moved to a different location on the screen by clicking the gray area surrounding the image and dragging the box to your desired location.
The ClearPilot™ Treatment Design Tool was made to help you create the treatment setups you want for your patients. At ClearCorrect we're committed to our mission of constantly listening to our clinician's feedback, to continue to improve their experience and provide the tools they need to move their practices forward. Keep an eye out for the next exciting update!
Other related articles you may find helpful:
- ClearPilot™ - Treatment Setups
- ClearPilot™ - FAQs
- ClearPilot™ - 3D Controls: Individual Tooth Movement