The 3D animation of the digital models positioned in the ClearPilot Main Display Window is the Treatment Setup. These models represent the patient’s dentition as it was prepared by our technicians from the PVS (polyvinylsiloxane impressions) or IOS (intraoral scans) sent to us when the case was submitted.
Reviewing and approving the treatment setup for your patient is one of the key aspects of planning treatment. This is where you get to map out the treatment goals you and your patient are aiming for.
After we receive your records, it usually takes a few days to create the setup. When it's ready, we'll send you an email to let you know, and you'll be able to view, modify or approve it in ClearPilot.
Once you approve the setup, we will use the data here to manufacture the aligners.
Using the treatment setup
Some of the most common uses for the treatment setup are:
- To plan treatment for your patient using ClearPilot
- To show the patient (using the patient link) the treatment goals and what treatment outcomes are possible (at the beginning or during treatment, when non-compliance is suspected)
- To monitor treatment progress
- To verify locations for:
- Placing engagers
- Performing IPR
- Compliance checkpoints
- At the end of treatment, compared with clinical photos, to determine if treatment is finished to your satisfaction, and to your patient's satisfaction
After treatment is completed and the case is closed, we will archive the treatment setup and keep it for a period of up to two years.
Viewing the treatment setup
Reviewing, adjusting and approving or disapproving the treatment setup is done in ClearCorrect’s treatment design tool, ClearPilot. You can find an overview of the ClearPilot platform in this article.
Treatment setups appear on the Manage Orders page in the Doctor’s Portal when they are ready for your review. To view just the cases awaiting setup approval, select “Setup Awaiting Approval” in the Category drop down menu.
Click a case on the list to visit the case page.
The treatment setup will be under the “Action needed” tab at the top left on the case page. Click the image of the setup and it will open in the ClearPilot platform.
Evaluating the treatment setup
- Check for notes from the Technician
- Evaluate the bite setting. Is the bite set correctly?
- Check your treatment plan and compare with the setup
We suggest 3 basic steps for evaluating a treatment setup. These are just our recommendations and you may have a different approach that you like to take. Remember, it's up to you to take the necessary actions to customize an ideal treatment plan for each individual patient.
1. Check for notes from the Technician
If the Technician asks you to take some action please do so. If there are no instructions from the Technician, click on the image of the setup to view.
2. Evaluate the bite setting. Is the bite set correctly?
Confirm that the software has accurately related the models and bite registration. Put the timeline of the treatment setup in the starting position and tilt the model up to check for gaps between the upper and lower incisors—comparing this view to the patient’s photographs and records often indicates an improper bite registration for the model.
Look and compare the front, right and left sides to make sure that the following are set correctly in the setup:
If there is a discrepancy, do not continue before you get a setup with the right bite setting.
3. Check your treatment plan and compare to the setup
Some questions you may want to ask or think about when evaluating the treatment setup:
- Does it reflect the patient's main concerns and expectations regarding…
- Does it reflect the treatment goals regarding….
- Are you happy with the end result?
- Are you happy with timing and amount of IPR?
- Are you happy with the engagers, amount and position?
- Is the staging/sequencing of different movements acceptable? I.e. first rotation then intrusion.
Notes from the Technician
You may receive notes from your technician regarding your treatment setup. Some of the common notes you might receive from the technician are:
- About the case type
- About your prescription
- About the quality of your impressions
- Questions about records/materials
Some notes will require answering before the technician can provide your treatment setup and sometimes the notes or comments do not require a response. The technician will usually be very clear with instruction or if anything is needed for your case to proceed. If you ever need assistance you can reach out to one of our knowledgeable Provider Services representatives for help.
IPR, engagers and the treatment setup
ClearCorrect's role is to help you create the treatment setup you want for your patient. We can offer recommendations for the course of treatment for your patient, based on your provided treatment prescription, but those recommendations are never absolute. It's up to you to make any necessary changes to customize an ideal treatment plan for each individual patient.
Just let us know what you want when you submit your case or when you're reviewing your treatment setup.