Disclaimer: Please note that not all features are available in all markets. Contact your local Straumann or ClearCorrect representative to find out what is available in your area.
Bite Ramps are thermoformed protrusions in the aligner that hold the arches out of occlusion.
- Bite ramps prevent the opposing arch from interfering with tooth movements needed to treat deep bites and crossbites
- Bite ramps in clear aligners are similar to engagers, however bite ramps are not intended to be filled with composite
Bite Ramps create premature contact in the anterior region, which then takes the posterior teeth out of occlusion helping to remove unwanted posterior bite forces. With the posterior bite forces removed, other tooth movements and correction can take place.
Anterior Bite Ramps
Let's take a look at look at how bite ramps can be used with clear aligners.
For information regarding bite ramps, refer to the following:
- Types of Bite Ramps
- ClearCorrect Aligners and Bite Ramps
- Tips for Bite Ramps
- Protocols and Requesting Bite Ramps
Types Bite Ramps
There are two classifications for bite ramps:
Types of bite ramps in clear aligners:
Anterior Bite Ramps
Placed lingually in the upper anterior region on the central incisors, lateral incisors, canines or a combination of these. They are commonly used to treat deep overbites/deep bites.
Posterior Bite Ramps
Posterior bite ramps are placed on the occlusal surface of the premolars or molars, in either the upper or lower arch. They are commonly used to treat both anterior and posterior crossbites.
Types of bite ramps in general orthodontic treatment:
Bonded Bite Ramps
The bite ramp can be directly bonded onto the teeth with either composite or a pre-molded bite ramp.
Non-Bonded Bite Ramps
These bite ramps are thermoformed into the aligner and do not require bonding or other methods to apply the bite ramp. Non-bonded bite ramps are mostly digital bite ramps, and used only with clear aligners.
ClearCorrect Aligners and Bite Ramps
ClearCorrect currently offers non-bonded bite ramps in the anterior region.
- Prescribe the ideal configuration for your patient in the Doctor Portal
- Canines only
- Review the treatment plan and approve it in ClearPilot
- Receive your aligners for your patient to start wearing according to your treatment plan
The technician will determine the size and depth of the bite ramp based on the size of the tooth and the contact desired between the lower incisors and the bite ramp, or you can make a custom request in your prescription form in the Doctor Portal or in the Comments Panel of ClearPilot.
Note: Custom requests for posterior bite ramps (engagers placed on posterior teeth) can be made, but it’s cautioned that only experienced clinicians request these at this time.
Tips for Bite Ramps
We have a few tips to offer regarding bite ramps:
- For cases with large overjet, bite ramps should be placed on the canines and can be used with Class II elastics.
- For cases needing proclination of the upper incisors, utilize the benefits of the plastic coverage of the aligner and delay the use of bite ramps until the incisors are in a better position.
- When you need extrusion of posterior teeth, engagers can be added to the posterior teeth to achieve hard occlusal contacts. Use the “Occlusal” tool in ClearPilot™ to check the contacts.
Protocols and Requesting Bite Ramps
ClearCorrect's default protocol for Bite Ramps:
Bite ramps will be placed lingually in the upper 4 anterior teeth (2x2 configuration)
If bite anterior ramps don’t contact the opposing arch, the bite ramps will be placed only on the canines
Depths available in 3 mm and 5 mm, technician will select the depth that provides the better contact
No Arch Correction Simulation (ACS) will be applied unless specifically requested by the clinician
Bite ramps can be requested on new cases, or existing cases through a revision (additional charges may apply)
Requesting bite ramps:
To request bite ramps when submitting a case, communicate the request in the "Additional information" section of the case submission form. You can specify that you would like to have the bite ramp protocol applied to your case and bite ramps will be applied according to ClearCorrect's default protocol. The picture below shows an example of what a bite ramp request looks like.
To make a custom request for bite ramps, you'll need to communicate the following specifics in the "Additional information" section of the case submission form:
- The size of bite ramps
- 3 mm
- 5 mm
- The position of the bite ramps
- Incisors (Central & Lateral) (2x2)
- Incisors and Canines (3x3)
- Canines only